Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Adele Says Beyonce Helped Her Overcome Anxiety

British songstress talks stage fright and body image in Rolling Stone cover story.
By Gil Kaufman


Adele
Photo: Larry Busacca/ Getty Images

While she was besting Britney Spears on the American album charts and helping to lead a new British invasion, U.K. soul pop diva Adele also landed the cover of the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone magazine.

And though the cover marks yet another milestone of her rising fame, Adele isn't immune to some of the same fears as the rest of us, say, stage fright. Despite her calm assurance in the studio and apparent ease at coping with her sudden success, the Grammy winner told the magazine that she still has nervous nights.

"I'm scared of audiences," she said. "One show in Amsterdam I was so nervous, I escaped out the fire exit. I've thrown up a couple of times. Once in Brussels, I projectile vomited on someone. I just gotta bear it. But I don't like touring. I have anxiety attacks a lot."

And it's not just audiences that freak her out, it's other celebrities. But the singer revealed that she has drawn some strength from an unlikely source: Beyoncé. "I was about to meet Beyoncé and I had a full-blown anxiety attack," Adele said. "Then she popped in looking gorgeous, and said, 'You're amazing! When I listen to you I feel like I'm listening to God.' "

When she later found herself on a balcony, crying hysterically, Adele asked herself, " 'What would [Beyoncé's alter ego] Sasha Fierce do?' That's when Sasha Carter was born." The composite of Sasha Fierce and late country icon June Carter is pulled out whenever Adele needs to give herself a shot of confidence.

The 22-year-old also said that in a world of size 0-2 pop divas, she has no problem being a bit more voluptuous than her peers. "My life is full of drama, and I won't have time to worry about something as petty as what I look like," she said. "I don't like going to the gym. I like eating fine foods and drinking nice wine."

That said, Adele noted that while she's not likely to do any nude photo shoots anytime soon, she can totally appreciate the sight of her fellow female pop stars' naughty bits.

"Even if I had a really good figure, I don't think I'd get my t--- and a-- out for no one," she said. "I love seeing Lady Gaga's boobs and bum. I love seeing Katy Perry's boobs and bum. Love it. But that's not what my music is about. I don't make music for eyes. I make music for ears."

Related Artists

Kelly Monaco Michelle Malkin Kim Yoon jin Scarlett Chorvat Charlize Theron

No comments:

Post a Comment